Ah, interesting.  While working on my new Tungsten shuffle manager, I came
up with some nice testing interfaces for allowing me to manually trigger
spills in order to deterministically test those code paths without
requiring large amounts of data to be shuffled.  Maybe I could make similar
test interface changes to the existing shuffle code, which might make it
easier to reproduce this in an isolated environment.