Apologies, I see you already posted everything from the RM logs that
mention your stuck app.

Have you tried restarting the YARN cluster to see if that changes anything?
Does it go back to the "first few tries work" behaviour?

I run 1.4 on top of CDH 5.4 pretty often and haven't seen anything like
this.

--
Marcelo