Hi Stephen

How many is a very large number of iterations? SGD is notorious for requiring
100s or 1000s of iterations, also you may need to spend some time tweaking the
step-size. In 1.4 there is an implementation of ElasticNet Linear Regression
which is supposed to compare favourably with an equivalent R implementation.