One issue is that you broadcast the product vectors and then do a dot product
one-by-one with the user vector.

You should try forming a matrix of the item vectors and doing the dot product
as a matrix-vector multiply which will make things a lot faster.

Another optimisation that is avalailable on 1.4 is a recommendProducts method
that blockifies the factors to make use of level 3 BLAS (ie matrix-matrix
multiply). I am not sure if this is available in The Python api yet.

But you can do a version yourself by using mapPartitions over user factors,
blocking the factors into sub-matrices and doing matrix multiply with item
factor matrix to get scores on a block-by-block basis.

Also as Ilya says more parallelism can help. I don't think it's so necessary to
do LSH with 30,000 items.

—
Sent from Mailbox