Hive using tez has recently (1.2.0) become much faster (if you use the ORC
format), so that for most of the use cases it will be sufficient.
Alternatively you could use as well SparkSQL (if you have the memory) or
apache phoenix. The latter one has - currently - a little bit less SQL
support and requires full access to all nodes on the cluster. However,
access is rather fast. You can use it for storing/retrieving Pre
-aggregated values and use spark or hive for any other queries.