Well said Will. I would add that you might want to investigate GraphChi which
claims to be able to run a number of large-scale graph processing tasks on a
workstation much quicker than a very large Hadoop cluster. It would be
interesting to know how widely applicable the approach GraphChi takes and what
implications it has for parallel/distributed computing approaches. A rich seam
to mine indeed.

Robin