I have a spark program that uses dataframes to query hive and I run it both
as a spark-shell for exploration and I have a runner class that executes
some tasks with spark-submit. I used to run against 1.4.0-SNAPSHOT. Since
then 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 were released so I tried to switch to the official
release. Now, when I run the program as  a shell, everything works but when
I try to run it with spark-submit it complains with this error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/session/SessionState when creating Hive client
using classpath: file:/home/mharis/dxp-spark.jar
Please make sure that jars for your version of hive and hadoop are included
in the paths passed to spark.sql.hive.metastore.jars.

What is suspicious is firstly 'using classpath: ...' where the jar is my
program, i.e. the paths that are passed along with  --driver-class-path
option are missing. When I switch to an older 1.4.0-SNAPSHOT on the driver,
everything works. I observe the issue with 1.4.1.

Are there any known obvious changes to how spark-submit handles
configuration that I have missed ?

--
Michal Haris
Technical Architect