I'd recommend starting with a few of the code examples to get a sense of
Spark usage (in the examples/ folder when you check out the code).  Then,
you can work through the Spark methods they call, tracing as deep as needed
to understand the component you are interested in.

You can also find an interesting (small) JIRA, examine the piece of code it
mentions, and explore out from that initial "entry point."  That's how I
mostly did it.  Good luck!

Joseph