Hi Hemant sorry for the confusion I meant final output part files in the
final directory hdfs I never meant intermediate files. Thanks. My goal is
to reduce those many files because of my use case explained in the first
email with calculations.
On Aug 20, 2015 5:59 PM, "Hemant Bhanawat" <hemant9...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I misread your mail. Thanks for pointing that out.
>
> BTW, are the 80000 files shuffle intermediate output and not the final
> output? I assume yes. I didn't know that you can keep intermediate output
> on HDFS and I don't think that is recommended.
>

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Hemant Bhanawat <hemant9...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Looks like you are using hash based shuffling and not sort based
>> shuffling which creates a single file per maptask.
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 12:43 AM, unk1102 <umesh.ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi I have a Spark job which deals with large skewed dataset. I have
>>> around
>>> 1000 Hive partitions to process in four different tables every day. So
>>> if I
>>> go with 200 spark.sql.shuffle.partitions default partitions created by
>>> Spark
>>> I end up with 4 * 1000 * 200 = 80000 small small files in HDFS which
>>> wont be
>>> good for HDFS name node I have been told if you keep on creating such
>>> large
>>> no of small small files namenode will crash is it true? please help me
>>> understand. Anyways so to avoid creating small files I did set
>>> spark.sql.shuffle.partitions=1 it seems to be creating 1 output file and