Thanks Saisai, Mishra,

Indeed, that hint will only work on a case where the Spark executor is
co-located with the Kafka broker.
I think the answer to my question as stated  is that there's no warranty of
where the task will execute as it will depend on the scheduler and cluster
resources available  (Mesos in our case).
Therefore, any assumptions made about data locality using the
consumer-based approach need to be reconsidered when migrating to the
direct stream.

((In our case, we were using local caches to decide when a given secondary
index for a record should be produced and written.))

-kr, Gerard.