Thanks Michael, I'll try it out. Another quick/important question: How do I
make udfs available to all of the hive thriftserver users? Right now, when
I launch a spark-sql client, I notice that it reads the ~/.hiverc file and
all udfs get picked up but this doesn't seem to be working in hive
thriftserver. Is there a way to make it work in a similar way for all users
in hive thriftserver?

Thanks again!