Hi,

I'm doing some testing of workloads using local mode on a server. I see
weird behavior where a job is submitted to the application and it just
hangs for several minutes doing nothing. The stages are submitted as
pending and in the application UI the stage view claims no tasks have been
submitted. Suddenly after a few minutes things suddenly start and run
smoothly.

I'm running against tiny data sets the size of 10s to low 100s of items in
the RDD. I've been attaching with JProfiler, doing thread and heap dumps
but nothing is really standing out as to why Spark seems to periodically
pause for such a long time.

Has anyone else seen similar behavior or aware of some quirk of local mode
that could cause this kind of blocking?

--
*Richard Marscher*
Software Engineer