I ve been looking around for some examples of information of how can the
driver and the executors exchange information asynchronously, but have not
found much apart from the ActorWordCount.scala streaming example that uses
Akka.

Is there any "in-band" (within Spark) method that such communication can
be effected, or is out-of-band use of Akka the only bet ? (Something equiv
in python?). Ideally I do not want to have to send messages to IP
addresses just to worker and driver IDs that spark may keep track of.

The problem at hand is the following: I would like that while workers
number-crunch based on their RDD partition data, they asynchronously
communicate some intermediate results back to the driver. The driver then
may update and re-broadcast some new state var back to all the workers,
which they can use within the same stage of computation.

TIA

Manolis.