Hi Greg,

It's actually intentional for standalone cluster mode to not upload jars.
One of the reasons why YARN takes at least 10 seconds before running any
simple application is because there's a lot of random overhead (e.g.
putting jars in HDFS). If this missing functionality is not documented
somewhere then we should add that.

Also, the packages problem seems legitimate. Thanks for reporting it. I
have filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-12559.

-Andrew