jimitkr wrote
/
>     val valuesForDEF=input.lookup("def")
>     val totalForDEF: Int = valuesForDEF.toList.reduce((x: Int,y:
> Int)=>x+y)
>     println("THE TOTAL FOR DEF IS" + totalForDEF)
/

Hmm, what exactly is the error message you get? From what I can tell, that
should work as expected.

/
>   val
> input=sc.parallelize(List(("abc",List(1,2,3,4)),("def",List(5,6,7,8))))
/

/
/

> Is there a difference in how (1,2,3,4) and List(1,2,3,4) is handled?

Well, the difference is that (1, 2, 3, 4) is a Tuple4 instead of a List. In
Scala, Tuples have some things in common with Lists and some differences.
You can probably find some discussion about that via a web search.

Depending on what you're trying to do, you'll prefer one or the other. I
believe in the example you gave before, you want List since reduce is not
defined for Tuples.

Hope this helps,

Robert Dodier