I think spark dataframe supports more than just SQL. It is more like pandas
dataframe.( I rarely use the SQL feature. )
There are a lot of novelties in dataframe so I think it is quite optimize
for many tasks. The in-memory data structure is very memory efficient. I
just change a very slow RDD program to use Dataframe. The performance gain
is about 2 times while using less CPU. Of course, if you are very good at
optimizing your code, then use pure RDD.