From: Ted Yu <yuzhih...@gmail.com>
Date: 26 March 2016 at 12:51
Subject: Re: Any plans to migrate Transformer API to Spark SQL (closer to
DataFrames)?
To: Michał Zieliński <zielinski.mich...@gmail.com>

Michal:
Can you share the slide deck ?

Thanks

On Mar 26, 2016, at 4:10 AM, Michał Zieliński <zielinski.mich...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Spark ML Pipelines API (not just Transformers, Estimators and custom
Pipelines classes as well) are definitely not just machine-learning
specific.

We use them heavily in our developement. We're building machine learning
pipelines *BUT* many steps involve joining, schema manipulation,
pre/postprocessing data for the actual statistical algorithm, having
monoidal architecture (I have a slide deck if you're interested).

Pipelines API is a powerful abstraction that makes things very easy for us.
They are not always perfect (imho transformSchema is a little bit of a
mess, maybe future Dataset API will help), but they make our pipelines very
customisable and pluggable (you can add/swap/remove any PipelineStage and
any point).