@Marcelo: Interesting - why would this manifest on the YARN-client side
though (as Spark is the client to YARN in this case)? Spark as a client
shouldn’t care about what auxiliary services are on the YARN cluster.

@Jesse: The change I wrote excludes all artifacts from the com.sun.jersey
group. So to allow usage of the timeline service, we specifically need to
find the thing that we don’t want to exclude and exclude everything but
that from the YARN dependencies.

I think the class that’s missing in this particular stack trace comes from
com.sun.jersey:jersey-client. Refactoring the exclusions in pom.xml under
hadoop-yarn-api to not exclude jersey-client should fix at least this.
Again – we want to exclude all the other Jersey things that YARN is
pulling in though, unless further errors indicate otherwise.

In general I’m wary of having both Jersey 1 and Jersey 2 jars on the class
path at all. However jersey-client looks relatively harmless since it does
not bundle in JAX-RS classes, nor does it appear to have anything weird in
its META-INF folder.

-Matt Cheah