Hi,
I am using Spark Streaming with Direct kafka approach.
Want to limit number of event records coming in my batches.
Have question regarding  following 2 parameters :
1. spark.streaming.receiver.maxRate
2. spark.streaming.kafka.maxRatePerPartition

The documentation (
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/streaming-programming-guide.html#deploying-applications
) says .....
" spark.streaming.receiver.maxRate for receivers and
spark.streaming.kafka.maxRatePerPartition for Direct Kafka approach "

*Does it mean that  spark.streaming.receiver.maxRate  is valid only for
Receiver based approach only ?  (not the DirectKafkaApproach as well)*

*If yes, then how do we control total number of records/sec in DirectKafka
?.....because spark.streaming.kafka.maxRatePerPartition  only controls max
rate per partition and not whole records    . There might be many
partitions some with very fast rate and some with very slow rate.*

Regards,
Chandan

--
Chandan Prakash