I don't know of a gitter channel and I don't use it myself, FWIW. I
think anyone's welcome to start one.

I hesitate to recommend this, simply because it's preferable to have
one place for discussion rather than split it over several, and, we
have to keep the @spark.apache.org mailing lists as the "forums of
records" for project discussions.

If something like gitter doesn't attract any chat, then it doesn't add
any value. If it does though, then suddenly someone needs to subscribe
to user@ and gitter to follow all of the conversations.

I think there is a bit of a scalability problem on the user@ list at
the moment, just because it covers all of Spark. But adding a
different all-Spark channel doesn't help that.

Anyway maybe that's "why"