There certainly are some gaps between the richness of the RDD API and the
Dataset API. I'm also migrating from RDD to Dataset and ran into
reduceByKey and join scenarios.

In the spark-dev list, one person was discussing reduceByKey being
sub-optimal at the moment and it spawned this JIRA
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-15598. But you might be able to
get by with groupBy().reduce() for now, check performance though.

As for join, the approach would be using the joinWith function on Dataset.
Although the API isn't as sugary as it was for RDD IMO, something which
I've been discussing in a separate thread as well. I can't find a weblink
for it but the thread subject is "Dataset Outer Join vs RDD Outer Join".

--
*Richard Marscher*
Senior Software Engineer