I would push the Spark people to provide equivalent functionality . In the end
it is a deserialization/serialization process which should not be done back and
forth because it is one of the more costly aspects during processing. It needs
to convert Java objects to a binary representation. It is ok to do it once,
because afterwards the access in binary form is much more efficient, but this
will be completely irrelevant if you convert back and forth all the time.

I have heard somewhere the figure that serialization/deserialization takes 80%
of the time in the big data world, but i would be happy to see this figure be
confirmed empirically for different scenarios. Unfortunately I do not have a
source for this figure so do not take it as granted.