I would guess that the technology behind Azure R Server is about Revolution
Enterprise DistributedR/ScaleR. I don’t know the details, but the statement in
the “Step 6. Install R packages” section in the given documentation page.
    However, if you need to install R packages on the worker nodes of the
cluster, you must use a Script Action.

That implies that R should be installed on each worker node.