It all depends on your latency requirements and volume. 100s of queries per
minute, with an acceptable latency of up to a few seconds? Yes, you could
use Spark for serving, especially if you're smart about caching results
(and I don't mean just Spark caching, but caching recommendation results
for example similar items etc).

However for many serving use cases using a Spark cluster is too much
overhead. Bear in mind real-world serving of many models (recommendations,
ad-serving, fraud etc) is one component of a complex workflow (e.g. one
page request in ad tech cases involves tens of requests and hops between
various ad servers and exchanges). That is why often the practical latency
bounds are < 100ms (or way, way tighter for ad serving for example).