The OP is not calling stddev though, so I still don't see that this is
the question at hand.

But while we're off on the topic -- while I certainly agree that
stddev is mapped to the sample standard deviation in DBs, it doesn't
actually make much sense as a default.

What you get back is not the standard deviation (as in, sqrt of second
central moment) of the values in the grouping or table, which is I
presume what people think they're getting.

You're getting an estimate the standard deviation of a population from
which the values are theoretically some random sample, but that's
rarely true. I disagree that this is the general use case, so, have
always thought this was a just a historical practice in RDBMSes that
was actually not a good decision.

Maybe that's why Hive defined it differently, but, even I would prefer
consistency in this regard.