Mitch: could you elaborate on: You can practically run most of your unit
testing with Local mode and deploy variety of options including running SQL
queries, reading data from CSV files, writing to HDFS, creating Hive tables
including ORC tables and doing Spark Streaming.

In particular, are you saying there's a way to run in local mode and still
read/write HDFS on a non-local cluster? Or do you mean run on the cluster as
yarn-whichever, which is the only way I've found that works to date?

Please elaborate. I'm shakey on how to aim spark at local files versus hdfs
files without a bunch of random experimenting around.

Dr. Brad J. Cox    Cell: 703-594-1883 Skype: dr.brad.cox