I do not deploy using cluster mode and I don't use EC2.

I just read that launching as client mode: "the driver is launched directly
within the spark-submit process which acts as a *client* to the cluster."

My current setup is that I have cluster machines 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, with 1
being the master.
I submit from another cluster machine 6 in client mode. So I'm taking that
the driver is launched in my machine 6.