Which RDBMS are you using here, and what is the data volume and frequency
of pulling data off the RDBMS?
Specifying these would help in giving better answers.

Sqoop has a direct mode (non-JDBC) support for Postgres, MySQL and Oracle,
so you can use that for better performance if using one of these databases.

And don't forget that you Sqoop can load data directly into Parquet or Avro
(I think direct mode is not supported in this case).
Also you can use Kite SDK with Sqoop to manage/transform datasets, perform
schema evolution and such.

~bhaskar