i just noticed Sort for Dataset has a global flag. and Dataset also has
sortWithinPartitions.

how about:
repartition + sortWithinPartitions + mapPartitions?

the plan looks ok, but it is not clear to me if the sort is done as part of
the shuffle (which is the important optimization).

scala> val df = Seq((1, "1"), (2, "2"), (1, "1"), (2, "2")).toDF("key",
"value")

scala> df.repartition(2,
col("key")).sortWithinPartitions("value").as[(String,
String)].mapPartitions{ (x: Iterator[(String, String)]) => x }.explain
== Physical Plan ==
*SerializeFromObject [staticinvoke(class
org.apache.spark.unsafe.types.UTF8String, StringType, fromString,
assertnotnull(input[0, scala.Tuple2, true], top level non-flat input
object)._1, true) AS _1#39, staticinvoke(class
org.apache.spark.unsafe.types.UTF8String, StringType, fromString,
assertnotnull(input[0, scala.Tuple2, true], top level non-flat input
object)._2, true) AS _2#40]
+- MapPartitions <function1>, obj#38: scala.Tuple2
   +- DeserializeToObject newInstance(class scala.Tuple2), obj#37:
scala.Tuple2
      +- *Sort [value#6 ASC], false, 0
         +- Exchange hashpartitioning(key#5, 2)
            +- LocalTableScan [key#5, value#6]