From: Kristoffer Sjögren [mailto:sto...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2016 4:57 PM
To: Mendelson, Assaf
Cc: user
Subject: Re: DataFrame select non-existing column

Thanks. Here's my code example [1] and the printSchema() output [2].

This code still fails with the following message: "No such struct field mobile
in auction, geo"

By looking at the schema, it seems that pass.mobile did not get nested, which
is the way it needs to be for my use case. Is nested columns not supported by
withColumn()?

[1]

DataFrame df = ctx.read().parquet(localPath).withColumn("pass.mobile",
lit(0L)); dataFrame.printSchema(); dataFrame.select("pass.mobile");

[2]

root
 |-- pass: struct (nullable = true)
 |    |-- auction: struct (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- id: integer (nullable = true)
 |    |-- geo: struct (nullable = true)
 |    |    |-- postalCode: string (nullable = true)
 |-- pass.mobile: long (nullable = false)