Thanks all sorted. The admin had updated these lines incorrectly in
$SPARK_HOME/conf/spark-defaults.conf by updating one of the parameters only
for Oracle ojdbc6.jar and the other one for Sybase jconn4.jar!

spark.driver.extraClassPath      /home/hduser/jars/ojdbc6.jar

spark.executor.extraClassPath    /home/hduser/jars/jconn4.jar

Also noticed that although we could see Oracle table metadata once
connected no action such as collecting data could be done. It was crashing.

So decided to downgrade ojdbc6.jar to ojdbc5.jar and that worked with
Spark. Interestingly Spoop has no problem using ojdbc6.jar. FYI the Oracle
database version accessed is 11g, R2

 Also it is a challenge in a multi-talented cluster to maintain multiple
versions of jars for the same database type through $SPARK_HOME/conf/
spark-defaults.conf!

HTH

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn *