Chetan,

Spark is currently using Hive 1.2.1 to interact with the Metastore. Using
that version for Hive is going to be the most reliable, but the metastore
API doesn't change very often and we've found (from having different
versions as well) that older versions are mostly compatible. Some things
fail occasionally, but we haven't had too many problems running different
versions with the same metastore in practice.

rb

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer