I recommend running spark in local mode when your first debugging your code
just to understand what's happening and step through it, perhaps catch a
few errors when you first start off

I personally use intellij because it's my preference You can follow this
guide.
http://www.bigendiandata.com/2016-08-26-How-to-debug-remote-spark-jobs-with-IntelliJ/

Although it's for intellij you can apply the same concepts to eclipse *I
think*

Regards
Sam