Hi All,
I believe here what we are looking for is a serving layer where user queries
can be executed on a subset of processed data.
In this scenario, we are using Impala for this as it provides a layered
caching, in our use case it caches some set in memory and then some in HDFS and
the full set is on S3.

Our processing layer is SparkStreaming + HBase  —> extracts to Parquet on S3 —>
Impala is serving layer serving user requests. Impala also has a SQL interface.
Drawback is Impala is not managed via Yarn and has its own resource manager and
you would have to figure out a way to man Yarn and impala co-exist.

Thanks,
Edwin