In the paper “Large-Scale Parallel Collaborative Filtering for the
Netflix Prize”, the following steps are described for ALS:

Step 1 Initialize matrix M by assigning the average rating for that
movie as the first row, and
small random numbers for the remaining entries.
Step 2 Fix M, Solve U by minimizing the objective function (the sum of
squared errors);
Step 3 Fix U, solve M by minimizing the objective function similarly;
Step 4 Repeat Steps 2 and 3 until a stopping criterion is satisfied.

Does spark take the average rating for the movie as the first row?
I've looked through the source code, but I can't see the average
rating being calculated for the movie.

Many thanks,

Chris