please try spark.sql.hive.verifyPartitionPath true

From:  "Steve Loughran";<ste...@hortonworks.com>;
Date:  Sat, May 20, 2017 09:19 PM
To:  "Bajpai, Amit X. -ND"<amit.x.bajpai....@disney.com>;
Cc:  "user@spark.apache.org"<user@spark.apache.org>;
Subject:  Re: SparkSQL not able to read a empty table location

   On 20 May 2017, at 01:44, Bajpai, Amit X. -ND <amit.x.bajpai....@disney.com>

  I have a hive external table with the S3 location having no files (but the S3
location directory does exists). When I am trying to use Spark SQL to count the
number of records in the table it is throwing error saying  ??File
s3n://data/xyz does not exist. null/0??.

  select * from tablex limit 10

  Can someone let me know how we can fix this issue.

  Thanks

 There isn't really a "directory" in S3, just a set of objects whose paths
begin with a string. Try creating an empty file with an _ prefix in the
directory; it should be ignored by Spark SQL but will cause the "directory" to
come into being