A clarification here: the example is being run *from the Spark codebase*.
Therefore the mvn install step would not be required as the classes are
available directly within the project.

The reason for needing the `mvn package` to be invoked is to pick up the
changes of having updated the spark dependency scopes from *provided *to
*compile*.

As mentioned the spark unit tests are working (and within Intellij and
without `mvn install`): only the examples are not.