I don't have any specific wisdom for you on that front.  But I've always
been served well by the 'Try both' approach.

Set up your benchmarks, configure both setups...  You don't have to go the
whole hog, but just enough to get a mostly realistic implementation
functional.  Run them both with some captured / fixture data...  And
compare.

I personally haven't come across a situation where you just have to go
scala, but I've come across multiple situations where it was preferable but
not by a big enough margin to retool a team and a product.

On the plus side you'll be well setup for integration tests with whichever
system you end up rolling out!

Good luck!  and i'd love to hear any findings discovery you may come across!

Gary Lucas