The general answer to your initial question is that "it depends". If the
operation in the rdd.foreach() closure can be parallelized, then you don't
need to collect first. If it needs some local context (e.g. a socket
connection), then you need to do rdd.collect first to bring the data
locally, which has a perf penalty and also is restricted to the memory size
to the driver process.

Given the further clarification:
>Reads from Kafka and outputs to Kafka. so I check the output from Kafka.

If it's writing to Kafka, that operation can be done in a distributed form.

You could use this lib: https://github.com/BenFradet/spark-kafka-writer

Or, if you can upgrade to Spark 2.2 version, you can pave your way to
migrate to structured streaming by already adopting the 'structured' APIs
within Spark Streaming:

case class KV(key: String, value: String)

dstream.map().reduce().forEachRdd{rdd ->
    import spark.implicits._
    val kv = rdd.map{e => KV(extractKey(e), extractValue(e))} // needs to
be in a (key,value) shape
    val dataFrame = rdd.toDF()
    dataFrame.write
                     .format("kafka")