Spark on EMR is configured to use CMS GC, specifically following flags,

spark.executor.extraJavaOptions  -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails
-XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
-XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=70 -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=70
-XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError='kill -9 %p'

Regards,
Keith.

http://keith-chapman.com