As I understand, Apache Spark Master can be run in high availability mode
using Zookeeper. That is, multiple Spark masters can run in Leader/Follower
mode and these modes are registered with Zookeeper.

In our scenario Zookeeper is expiring the Spark Master's session which is
acting as Leader. So the Spark MAster which is leader receives this
notification and shutsdown deliberately.

Can someone explain why this decision os shutting down rather than retrying
has been taken?

And why does Kafka retry connecting to Zookeeper when it receives the same
Expiry notification?