Hi,

It's not allowed to change the numer of partitions after your streaming
query is started.

The reason is exactly the number of state stores which is exactly the
number of partitions (perhaps multiplied by the number of stateful
operators).

I think you'll even get a warning or an exception when you change it after
restarting the query.

The number of partitions is stored in a checkpoint location.

Jacek