How large is the data frame and what data type are you counting distinct
for?
I use count distinct quite a bit and haven't noticed any thing peculiar.

Also, which exact version in 2.3.x?
And, are performing any operations on the DF before the countDistinct?

I recall there was a bug when I did countDistinct(PythonUDF(x)) in the same
query which was resolved in one of the minor versions in 2.3.x