That will heavily depend on your implementation of state functions on
flatMapGroupsWithState, but assuming your state functions respect of the
output mode, chaining flatMapGroupsWithState doesn't work - I don't mean it
doesn't compile or doesn't run. I mean the query will not produce correct
output.

The guide doc of Structured Streaming in Spark 3.0 will contain the
limitation of global watermark which explains why the chaining of stateful
operators in Structured Streaming doesn't work correctly. Spark 3.0 will
also log the warning message if Spark detects the pattern. Reading the new
part in doc requires understanding of semantic of watermark and how global
watermark is calculated in prior, so a bit advanced topic. (Though I think
end users should also need to understand this to make sure their query is
"correct".)

You can see the change of doc previously in this PR:
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/24890

Thanks,
Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)