I've just had a deeper look at the possible issue and here are my findings:
* In 3.0.1 KafkaTokenUtil.needTokenUpdate has 3 params
* In 3.1.1 KafkaTokenUtil.needTokenUpdate has 2 params
* I've decompiled spark-token-provider-kafka-0-10_2.12-3.1.1.jar and
KafkaTokenUtil.needTokenUpdate has 2 params in it's definition
* I've decompiled spark-sql-kafka-0-10_2.12-3.1.1.jar and
KafkaTokenUtil.needTokenUpdate
is called only from getOrRetrieveConsumer with 2 params
* The type and number of params are matching withing the 3.1.1 jars
* We have a delegation token integration test which compiled and passed
(just checked it)

If you think there is an issue in the code and/or packaging please open a
jira with more details.

BR,