we have spark 2.4.x clusters running fine; however when running spark 3.1.1
the spark history server fails to boot

note: we build spark 3.1.1 from source for hadoop 3.2.1
we use supervisord to start services so our start command is:

$SPARK_HOME/bin/spark-class org.apache.spark.deploy.history.HistoryServer

Error: A JNI error occurred, please check your installation and try again
Expectation in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
scala/MatchError
caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: scala.MatchError

is there a different HistorySever class for spark 3 using scala 2.12 ?