Window functions don't work like traditional GROUP BYs. They allow you to
partition data and pull any relevant column, whether it's used in the
partition or not.

I'm not sure what the syntax is for PySpark, but the standard SQL would be
something like this:

WITH InputData AS
(
  SELECT 'USA' Country, 'New York' City, 9000000 Population
  UNION
  SELECT 'USA' Country, 'Miami', 6200000 Population
  UNION
  SELECT 'Ukraine' Country, 'Kyiv', 3000000 Population
  UNION
  SELECT 'Ukraine' Country, 'Kharkiv', 1400000 Population
)

 SELECT *, ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY Country ORDER BY Population DESC)
PopulationRank
 FROM InputData;

Results would be something like this:

Country    City       Population     PopulationRank
Ukraine    Kyiv       3000000        1
Ukraine    Kharkiv    1400000        2
USA        New York   9000000        1
USA        Miami      6200000        2

Which you could further filter in another CTE or subquery where
PopulationRank = 1.

As I mentioned, I'm not sure how this translates into PySpark, but that's
the general concept in SQL.