Hello,

  I'm trying to calculate the distance between a gene (with start and end)
and a variant (with position), so I joined gene and variant data by
chromosome and then tried to calculate the distance like this:

```
distances = joined.withColumn("distance", max(col("start") -
col("position"), col("position") - col("end"), 0))
```

  Basically, the distance is the maximum of three terms.

  This line causes an obscure error:

```
ValueError: Cannot convert column into bool: please use '&' for 'and', '|'
for 'or', '~' for 'not' when building DataFrame boolean expressions.
```

  How can I do this? Thanks!

     Best, Oliver

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Ph.D. (he)
Senior Software Engineer, Knowledge Portal Network