Sean is right, casting timestamps to strings (which is what show() does) uses the local timezone, either the Java default zone `user.timezone`, the Spark default zone `spark.sql.session.timeZone` or the default DataFrameWriter zone `timeZone`(when writing to file).

You say you are in PST, which is UTC - 8 hours. But I think this currently observes daylight saving, so PDT, which is UTC - 7 hours.

Then, your UTC timestamp is correctly displayed in local PDT time. Try the change above settings to display in different timezones. Inspecting the underlying long value as suggested by Sean is best practice to get hold of the true timestamp.

Cheers,
Enrico