Hi,

I would refer to their documentation to better understand the concepts
behind cluster overview and submitting applications:

   -

https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/cluster-overview.html#cluster-manager-types
   - https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/submitting-applications.html

When using local[*]  you can get as many worker threads as your cores  in
the same jvm running your driver and not executors. If you want to test
against a real cluster you can look into using stand-alone mode.

HTH,
Riccardo